Friday, September 2, 2011

Fun angles


Laying out photos crooked is a cheap trick but I like to use it once in a while. Angled photos can be disorienting, as it is not immediately clear which way is up and which way is down. That's why they can be used to convey a sense of motion.

Here, my daughter and my cousin's son were enjoying a bumpy ride together around the yard. There wouldn't have been anything wrong with putting them straight, but I thought that would have been a little boring.

Many wedding photographers do artsy shots by holding the camera at an angle. Some people don't like crooked pictures, even when it is done intentionally. My husband sees those photos, frowns, and says, “it's not straight.” I guess this technique isn't for everyone.

Perhaps the trick for me is knowing when NOT to angle photos, namely when there is a horizon in the background. The ocean, especially, should be straight. But when it's two little kids being jostled around in the backyard, I think I can mix it up a bit.

To continue with the diagonal theme, I put my journaling diagonal as well. It reads:

Your second cousin Aiden is just three months older than you. When you were a newborn, that three months seemed like a big difference. Now that your older, though, that three months seems like nothing. Here you are at his third birthday party. You two played together the whole time just like best friends. Yet it was sad for me to think that in just a few short months, my baby would be turning three.

There it is. I hope that I don't give anyone a neck ache. But when you do a layout every day like me, you have to jazz it up a little once in a while. Thanks for looking!

1 comment: