Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Day of School

It's been awhile since I've posted. I've been busy building a studio at my house, taking pictures for friends, tutoring my daughter, playing soccer, and various other life activities. This is why I haven't been creating the same quantity of pages that I had been in the past. Yet that's what happens when I create only when inspired. I never do pages because I feel like I should. I refuse to make it a chore or a project on my “to do” list. That means, of course, that some outings don't make it into the scrapbook albums. But it also means that many ordinary aspects of life that often get overlooked will be there.

But one event that I wanted to mark was my daughter's first day of school. I wanted to get a picture of her with her matching backpack and lunchbox, which she was barely able to wrap her arms around. School shopping was quite the adventure for us, too. We ran up and down the isles of Walmart to get all the stuff on the list. So I thought, why not include the receipt in the page?

The journaling reads:

It finally hit me that you will be going to school when I took you shopping. Your teacher gave me quite the list. I may have to bring along the double stroller on your first day just to drag all the stuff inside. She wrote the brand names in the list, so brand names it is. I would have bought the store brand and saved a few bucks, but I didn't want to give the impression that your mother is cheap. Your backpack looks huge on you. I can't wait to see if she fills it up with homework. I bet that you will have a great school experience, and I've tried to do my part to get you off on the right foot with your material needs, at least. And in case you were wondering, the chocolates were for me.

2 comments:

  1. THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!! I really like the way you scrapped this- what a great memory!
    I felt the same way the first time I went back-to-school shopping.
    The weird thing is, now that kiddo is in middle school, the list is so boring. Couple of comp books, a flash drive, pens, pencils, tape. No paint, no colored markers, no glue, no boxes of Kleenex to share with the class...
    Sigh. They grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete