Monday, May 16, 2011

Ideas for a Book of Me


We scrapbook about our kids, our trip to the park, our dog, and everything else except ourselves. Indeed, many of us (including myself) are hesitant to scrapbook about ourselves. There are several reasons for this that I can think of:

1)It is considered impolite or narcissistic to talk about ourselves.

2)We are usually the ones behind the camera, and thus are left with few pictures of ourselves.

3)We think it has to be deep and serious (for more about that visit this post).

4)We get stuck in the habit of recording events, and forget to put things in a broader, more meaningful context.

Yet telling our life story is important. It is also easier than you may think. Most of us already have an online profile, and we tell our story through words and pictures we post on Facebook and other social networking sites. In fact, it is a simple step to organize that into a scrapbook. Here are some ideas I've either done myself, seen others do, or plan to do in the future:

  • Favorite things. This could be very general (think “Sound of Music”) or it could be specific, such as favorite foods, book, movies, or anything else.

  • Places I've been or would like to go

  • Names: Nicknames, maiden names, meaning of your name

  • Goals you have, or goals you've accomplished and how you did it

  • Why people think I'm weird (if you're brave)

  • Celebrities that friends have compared to you, including pictures

  • Then & Now – Comparing a childhood picture with a recent one, how I've changed, if I knew then what I know now

  • A day in the life of me

  • About me in a casual, stream-of-consciousness style

  • Your job – a description of your job, why you like it (or don't like it), why your job is important

The possibilities are endless, and these are just a few of them. Remember, your life story is worth telling, so start scrapping about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment